Sunday, February 5, 2017

V Day is for Velvet

Hello, I am back in fashion! Or at least back on this blog. It has been a long time. Here's a quick update of my superficial world lately:

1. Still Trending: Velvet.
I will be dating myself as this crushed floral velvet top is old from Casual Corner (remember them?) This shirt has been in hiding for over 15 years in the deepest part of the ocean floor, and now it resurfaces to the top as velvet is back in mode, and perfect for Valentine's. I tried to make it look fresher by styling with a metallic mini from H&M (wearing size US 4, similar here and here), and a cute clutch and heels (pardon the pasty legs that have not seen the sun for many months). 

2. Current Splurge: Ringly Out to Sea Lapis ring. An early birthday gift for myself. I've been wanting something with "lapis lazuli" since the Epic of Gilgamesh or something. Also growing up reading fantasy books, I dreamed of having magical jewelry, and this Ringly ring is the closest I get (besides the mood rings I adored in my teens of course).

3. Current Favorite Beauty Trick: Exfoliating with sea salt. I've been using the Morton Fine Sea Salt, sprinkling a bit into my Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser and gently scrub away. This may not be for everyone (read this article), but it works for my huge pores and dry flaky skin. I am thinking of experimenting with the Pink Himalayan salt this year, will update on that if successful. 

4. 2017 Beauty Goals: 
     a. Need a strong hair gel - I have a huge forehead so I've been sporting the Zooey Deschanel bangs (but not as cute) for quite some time. I'm finally tired of the bangs, especially after reading an article that Genghis Khan once ordered all women in China to cut their hair and wear bangs to keep them timid and more easily controlled. The belief was that sunlight absorbing through the forehead helps brain activity, thus when covered, it impedes one's intelligence. True or not, I certainly do not want to be controlled by men like Genghis Khan, so no more bangs! Need a good hair gel to keep the bangs aside. 
    b. Need a travel-friendly blusher - yes, I still look horrible in travel photos because I pack light and refuse to bring all the bulky makeup products. Where can I buy a quality but tiny compact blusher with a tiny brush included, for the pallid cheeks?

5. Current Favorite Snack - Hokkaido bread. Ever since my sister introduced us to homemade Hokkaido bread rolls for our family New Year's dinner, we cannot stop eating them for dessert, for snacking, and for breakfast! It is so soft and heavenly! I am oozing at these pictures from Cleobuttera if you want to try a recipe.

6. Current Favorite Music - The string quintet ALKALI's rendition of All Of Me is AMAZING! This song is like potato chips, once I turn it on, I can't stop listening to it more on repeat.

7. Current Life InspirationRandy Pausch Last Lecture. One of the reasons why I've been missing in action on this blog, is because I've been using my spare time to play with toys. Sounds ridiculous for my age, but I've always wanted a Barbie doll growing up...not any random Barbie doll, I wanted an Asian complexion doll that I can relate to. That did not exist until NOW! I was beyond excited when these new "Lea" Made To Move dolls came out. Finally, one of my childhood dreams came true, and now I'm living that dream! I even made an Instagram account for my dolls. Follow them here.

My caramels, what have you been up to? 

5 comments:

Julia said...

Glad to see you come back blogging again! I know it's so hard to keep up with all the writing and posting...but I see this as way of releasing the creative side of me outside of work. I haven't blogged in a while and this month I decided to start writing as well. :)

Julia || Closet de Jules || Recent Post - How to Style a Blanket Scarf

Olyvia said...

Wow Julia, you still follow my blog! Glad to see your updates as well!

KayVee said...

Glad to see you back! Was wondering what happened to you. I was starting to worry that something horrible had happened. Looks a fun hobby! Love those ao dai doll outfits . So cute!

KayVee said...

Oh and I forgot love your long hair. Think you had short hair in last post???

Olyvia said...

Thanks for checking up on me KayVee! Yep, been growing out the hair during my blogging hiatus :)