Friday, December 2, 2011

Yes or no for Maxi length coats?

A few weeks ago, I arrived fashionably late to a friend's wedding reception, which lead to an undesirable faraway parking spot and freezing bare legs. Although I had on my toasty J.Crew double-cloth thinsulate lady day coat covering my short dress, it only gave warmth from knee up. I never wear tights with my cocktail dresses because the colored ones seem to make my legs look shorter and more crooked. As for pantyhose, I've never found one that matched my skin tone. Thus, nothing covered my naked legs and they were painfully cold! I wished and I wished that my coat was longer to cover all. Thus begins the search for a Maxi Coat!
ASOS Belted Midi Coat (bought on sale with discounts ~$122)

Most maxi-length coats I browsed online were at least 50+ inches in length, which seems too long for my 5'1" petite frame, so I tried to be clever in ordering a "midi" length coat in hopes that it turns out to be the right ankle length for me. 

This ASOS coat is actually a pretty soft, somewhat plushy wool. As with most wool (even my J.Crew metro coat), it's a bit itchy on bare skin, but not too bothersome I had worse itchy wool. On a scale of 0-5 for itchiness, I would probably rate this a 2. Because of the length and material, it's also heavier than most coats I own. I thought the batwing-like armholes were interesting...better ventilation and comfort for the pits. Overall fit is loose. I sort of feel like I'm wearing a house robe.

Do you think this coat is too big? Are you a fan of Maxi-length coats? Should I continue the search?

9 comments:

C said...

Resemblance to a house robe was the first thought that popped into my head, too :( Especially when belted. Unbelted, the coat doesn't flatter your frame. I also think a more "classic" color (like black) would look better. You can do better, Olyvia!

Sydney's Fashion Diary said...

I totally agree with Cee. It is overwhelming your frame. It is too big for you all around. I would return the coat and continue to search for something that would fit you better.

Me said...

Yes, it definitely looks like a robe! It has some pretty details, but is just too big on you. Definite return! I say stop the search! Brave the cold for a minute or use valet whenever possible! :)

Olyvia said...

Cee, for some reason, I always stay away from black coats, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should try a black one for a more sophisticated look!

PLG, thanks for the second opinion. I am definitely returning this coat!

Michelle, I take it you are not a fan of Maxi-length coats, haha. I think I'm going to give it one more try because I stop the search ;)

granola2glam.blogspot.com said...

This is totally not flattering your cute figure. Looks like your dad's bath robe. Let's help you find a cute maxi-coat that does resemble a snuggie.

Olyvia said...

Chris, lol! Thanks for the honest opinion. I think I just found the perfect Maxi coat at Target! Reviews to come.

granola2glam.blogspot.com said...

I like the target one much better- thanks for sharing!

Nandar said...

Hi I really like your drape dress underneath the coat. Do you mind telling me where did you get it?
Thanks,
Nandar

Olyvia said...

Nandar, I'm actually wearing a random old black v-neck jersey shirt and a drape skirt I bought at Kmart last year. The skirt is the Slimfabulous brand sold at Kmart. I don't think they they sell this style anymore though.