Saturday, February 11, 2012

James Tissot

I'm an old soul and love Victorian paintings. One of my favorite artist of the era is James Tissot. I'm currently reading more about him from this book: James Tissot Victorian Life/Modern Love
This book has amazing prints of his paintings. I'm in awe of the fashion he illuminated in his artwork. And there's a theme going on here that I'm hooked on!

Holyday, c.1877
The Widower, 1877
 The Thames, c.1876
The Last Evening, 1873

The Captain's Daughter, 1873

Did you guess what got me? It's the buffalo-check print! Who would have thought the checkered pattern was popular since back then! Makes me wonder who invented the buffalo plaid/check and how long ago? It's always exciting to discover fashion that stands the test of time. I've been wanting something checkered ever since Khatu posted her amazingly versatile red Forever21 checkered shirt. I was thinking of purchasing that exact shirt, but based on the sizing available online, I think it might be too big on me. Thus, I searched around for other similar items:
 
Ralph Lauren Faron Shawl Cardigans (Girls) - sale $31.99
 

Ralph Lauren Buffalo Check Ruffle Scarf - sale $19.99

ASOS Brush Check Scarf - sale $14.32
I haven't decided which items to order yet. 
What are your picks? Do you love buffalo check?

No comments: