Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fall blazer for Spring

I recently found a houndstooth blazer on the clearance rack for $20 at my local H&M. On further inspection, I think this might be the same suit pieces as seen on Alterations Needed, Extra Petite, and Stylish Petite back in 2011! Kind of weird how it made its way to my local store now in 2013. However, my blazer doesn't have the elbow patches or the polka-dot lined inside pocket, so maybe this is a different renewal edition. Sometimes I forget that Kelly, Jean, and Annie are indeed tiny petites in their size 2's. I felt this H&M sizing definitely ran small. I had to take the jacket in size 4, with sleeves shortened (another $20 in alteration cost), and the skirt in size 6!

I was sort of bummed that I would have to store away the brown houndstooth blazer in the back of my closet to wait till Fall to wear it.....until my eyes landed upon page 135 of the March 2013 J.Crew Style Guide....men's section again....
.....granted it's a lightweight silk-linen jacket being advertised here, it gives off the same effect as a houndstooth jacket from this Fall 2012 J.Crew catalog clipping:
Both can pass as Spring looks, no?

Lastly, I was excited about the "real" chest pocket on my blazer. I don't own any handkerchiefs or pocket-squares, but I do have several handmade hair scrunchies lying around. Making scrunchies out of scrap fabric use to be my hobby back in junior high school, haha. Although scrunchies are out-of-style for a long time, who knew they'll come in handy now...
....and still useful in tying the hair back when they go awry.
Maybe I should pick up this hobby again!

5 comments:

Sydney's Fashion Diary said...

I got a similar blazer at H&M a few weeks ago. Still don't know how to style it =) I love the back of your blazer tho. Very feminine!

Unknown said...

I have that blazer too! It's one of my favourites. I never thought to pair it with brights - you're right always thought of is as a fall blazer. I might give it a try!

Olyvia said...

Sydney, I hope you find a way to style it and post it! I would love to discover other ways of wearing this blazer :)

Elaine, I must have missed your post on it, and oh wait...aha! I found it! I'm adding your link above. Yay, we wear the same size!

Anyone else with photos or ways of styling this blazer, please share your link! :)

Julia said...

Have you tried on the blazers from Zara before? The quality is a lot better and they are usually quite slim. I almost bought one that looks very similar to the one you are wearing here last week.

Olyvia said...

Julia, I've bought one blazer from Zara last year online, but the small sizes run out fast :( Especially when I always wait for a good sale. Wish I live near a Zara!