Sunday, August 23, 2020

Best Fashion Trends of 2020

This may be a weird pastime, but I enjoy spotting fashion trends since I was a kid. It is fascinating to see what retailers try to market vs. what actually inspires a large amount of people, and what personally resonates with me. 

Since my end-goal has always been to have less clutter, I try to not jump on every trend that comes out, but for some reason the year 2020 has come out with lots of clothing and accessory styles that I absolutely adore!

So these are my top 5 trends that I am loving this year:

1. Slip Dress (or satiny skirt): layer with cropped tee for more casual outings, and then under oversized sweater for the coming fall weather...
My Inspiration: Monroe Steele's instagram, she rocks slip dresses as no other!

2. Twist Top Headband: Anything that comes from Jennifer Behr becomes the next big thing when advertised on celebrities. I like this wider, softer band look, which is easier to wear than the puffy headband that seems so last-year or from the 90's (which I did try to bring back for my wedding in 2018 as a statement piece but too fancy to wear on a normal basis). This twist style is more wearable!
My Inspiration: Sabrina Carpenter

3. Paperbag High-Waist Shorts: I am surprised the paperbag shorts is still going strong since I was first introduced to it in 2012. For some reason, retailers have been pushing out more paperbag shorts and pants this year than any other year I can remember, and I'm loving it because it hides a bloated tummy, the high waist gives the illusion of better proportions for my body-type, and the bagginess is super comfortable. 
My Inspiration: Abercrombie and Fitch model

4. Tie-Dye: I suppose by now most people own at least one piece of something in tie-dye. It can be retro, geeky, attention-grabbing, but for me, I mostly reserve it for loungewear or beach attire. I own one T-shirt in tie-dye that I bought as a souvenir at the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk a couple of years ago and finally took it out from the back of my closet since tie-dye is having a moment. 
My Inspiration: Lilliana Vazquez's DIY tie-dye outfit during quarantine life

 
5. Chin-length Blunt Bob haircut: Hair is fashion to me, so I'm including this here. I personally love any bobs. This blunt textured one seems refreshing and playful and I have been seeing it everywhere on celebrities and models. I'll be asking for this cut at my next visit to the hair salon...
My Inspiration: Kaia Gerber definitely started it all! And doesn't this Victoria's Secret model look almost like her?


Now on to the trendy items that did NOT make it on my wardrobe, but may reconsider another day:

Bike shorts: because I have not been inspired by anyone who looks amazing or picturesque in bike shorts.
Shoulder Pad Muscle Tee: I use to get a lot of hand-me-down clothes from my aunts as a kid that had shoulder pads, and it made me cringe how they get warped in the washer/dryer machine. No thanks to shoulder pads, but maybe a plain muscle tee is okay. 
Oversize Graphic Tee: I think the oversize tee is super cute on kids and teenagers, but not for me, I'm getting old.
Puffy Sleeves Top/Sweater: It just reminds me of clown-clothes, something I've been trying to avoid. I think I would feel too self-conscious in puffy sleeves, probably traumatized by the puffy sleeve dresses we wore as children in the 80's as our parents thought it made us cute as dolls, which is a bit creepy.

No comments: