Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Handbag Crush Part 3

The year 2023 for me is definitely all about learning how to incorporate handbags into my wardrobe. Since the holidays are here, I'm feeling like I need an updated red bag to carry around to house parties that feels more modern and chic. 

Back in 2012, I attempted to try out a red leather bag for the first time, but was so concerned about the red dye bleeding/staining my clothes, that I got rid of the bag and never thought of it since.  

So the dilemma is, should I give a red bag a shot again?  

I'm leaning towards it since I laid my eyes on the popular Bottega Veneta Jodie Mini

$2,650.00
Look how great this bag is on everyone! 


I'm not one to pay thousands of dollars on high-end fashion items because I prefer to save the money for a new couch or home renovations, but this bag put a seed in my mind, that maybe, just maybe...if I stopped shopping for clothes/frivolous items for 3 years, I can buy this bag full price! 

The practical side of my brain tells me, what if the leather bleeds just like my original experience with a red bag, or it is so flashy, that it is prone to theft as it seems easy to just snatch away this iconic bag on one's arm. I mean resale of a used bag for this is around $700-1200, which is pretty good for a thief's payout. 

So then the rabbit-hole search began for a cheaper alternative, and here's my contenders....

$1200


I actually love the look of this bag with the wider depth/bottom more than the BV Jodie, and price is less severe, but still painful for $500-1,200 range. And damn, it's hard to find this bag in this red color anywhere now. I think it's long gone, no longer accessible to the general public, unless I look into the second-hand or used ones, but who wants that?

$295
So this one is a huge difference in price, more affordable, and I appreciate that it has a convertible strap that can be worn as a crossbody or on the arms. Also like the wider bottom with the same fold-up-sides as the Khaite one. But the leather doesn't look as lush or squishy like the ones above. I think what really drawn me to the original BV Jodie, is the slouch look of it, and this RL one doesn't have the texture I'm looking for. 

$335
On sale $268 at Twigs with code Jolly20
The website touts this is made in Los Angeles with Italian cow leather, so quality is probably decent. The interchangeable straps is functional and fun. My only hesitancy is the color, a bit too bright and shiny, making it look cheaper than it is. Now I understand why the BV Jodie woven detail is a must to tone down the redness of it all. 

$176
Love the slouch look and price of this one! It is almost the same size or dimension as the BV Jodie Mini. The only negative I have to say is that it is unlined. I've never owned an unlined leather bag, so I'm a bit wary about the durability of it. 

$129.99
So I had no idea that TJ Maxx sells genuine leather bags online now, and they tout as "Made in Italy." Like whaa! is this a factory in Italy that somehow obtains scrap leather from the high-end makers and is able to find cheap laborers to make these bags for the general public? No idea what is going on here, but they got me intrigued. This bag also looks more functional with the different strap options and the woven stitch detail around the bag gives it more flare than the RL one. But the design is more saddle-like, and more old-lady-ish than I would like. 

$79.99
Evidently Marshalls also has an online leather shop just like TJ Maxx now, and I came across this, also genuine leather "Made in Italy."  The exaggerated woven detail gives it that squishy factor that I like, but I'm not too fond of the boxy shape and the handles look too stiff. Come to think of it, I like how the BV Jodie bag handle appears like it is melded together with the same piece of woven fabric from the body instead of a separate handle attached. 

Overall, I feel like these alternatives are not quite there, even though they are a pop of red and genuine leather. The aesthetic of the BV Jodie mini is really quite unique and perfect. I know there are many counterfeit and look-a-like bags found on Amazon and Walmart online in faux leather, but I've been avoiding faux leather completely because polyurethane is just bad...smells bad, feels bad, and doesn't last long. There are some shady websites from China that seems to sell genuine leather dups for under $100 like these....

Baginning ($92.99) - never heard of this company or website until it showed up on a Google search, but the reviews rave about these bags, and the stock photos look great. 

DHgate ($64.99) - I'm very leery about these sites just because the descriptions makes no sense and I feel like I have no idea what kind of quality I'll be getting, or if they'll take my information for some other scams. 

So the dilemma continues, save for the real Bottega Veneta Jodie mini or search for a less costly alternative. What do you prefer?

No comments: