Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Best Period Shows to Watch Now

So before Bridgerton became a hit, I was all up on PBS channel's Sanditon.  I love period movies and shows, especially the 1800's because I basically lived in Jane Austen's world as a teen (this is what happens when you have no friends to eat lunch with in high school and you are trying to read books to improve your vocabulary for SAT scores). So naturally, I had to watch these shows. I was literally blown away on how good Sanditon was with the plethora of scandalous plots and twists that kept me glued to the screen. I also love the old-time beach resort feel of the show and the classical-esque string music in the background. I was a huge fan! And I cannot wait till season two comes out March 20th, 2022! Save that date! 

Then a few months later, when Bridgerton came out on Netflix, I felt like that show was trying too hard to make it appear relevant to today's times. My favorite thing though from Bridgerton was actually how they used our current top hits music and turned it into 1800's classical sounds, which was pretty cool! Other than that, I thought the plots paled to the scandals of Sanditon

Right now, I am totally hooked on the The Gilded Age from HBO Max. Woah, this show nailed it on the costumes and set design....I literally feel like I'm watching a live version of the Victorian-esque paintings that I love so much from the likes of Jean Beraud, James Tissot, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Gustave Caillebotte, John Singer Sargent, etc. This show is definitely eye-candy if you like antique fashion and art. The plot so far is somewhat slow and boring and cliché, but I got to say, my favorite character is actually Ada Brook, portrayed by Cynthia Nixon. Wow oh wow, I cannot believe the sophisticated lady from Sex in the City, is the same actress playing this sweet, nice old aunt that we all wish we had. She totally looks and acts the part for that Victorian character! Someone please give her an award for this acting talent! 


Are you loving these shows? 
What other Victorian-esque shows should I watch?

No comments: