Monday, February 20, 2012

Red bag!

I'm on a roll with red items lately. This time, it's a red bag! Originally, I was intrigued by a yellow bag in this style, but lo and behold, the popular yellow ones were out of stock, leaving behind only red ones. I have never ever considered a red bag. I debated about this for weeks! Was it for me? A sign came when my favorite style bloggers posted their red bags: Bravoe Runway's Gucci and Wendy's Lookbook's Banana Republic. I took Bessie's advice "If you want a handbag with a pop of colour that will stand the test of time, get it in RED!"

So here I am with the red bag! I took a bunch of photos of different outfit themes to make sure red is truly versatile. 
 Not bad with neutral tan, blue, and blacks!
Then to push the boundaries, I tried to style it with more funky colors:
 I'm surprised it worked with my orange coat (probably due to the analogous theory of the color wheel). 
The red with green is a bit trickier. Red with green by itself is so elfin Christmas-y! But I found that if I added more colors to my green shirt as in my cream-purple-yellow scarf, it is more passable. 

I'm now a believer in the versatile red bag.
Another nice thing about this particular tote-bag is that it's packable! 
(Which is perfect for my 2012 goal of a better travel bag).  
It is currently sold at Travelsmith on sale $66
(way more affordable than this Ralph Lauren one that I had saved in my dream wishlist.)

By packable, I guess it means I can fold it in half:
 How much stuff can I fit in it?
 I was able to fit them all!
Here's how it looks zipped up full of things. I probably can add a few more small items to it.
 The four outside pockets are secured with a magnetic closure, but I would probably not put valuables in them. I think the open side pockets are good for stashing candy, granola bars, tissues, or hand-sanitizer.
 This bag is all soft full-grain leather, except for the red trim where the cell-phone holder is (which feels more like a vinyl piece). Ooh, the fabric lining reminds me of Khatu's recent fashionable outfit post here.
 I thought this bag was just PERFECT until this happened:
 In effort to rub a sticker/glue mark off the bag with some furniture polish wipe, I noticed that some red dye transferred on my moist sheet. I wonder if this means I cannot use this bag with light-colored clothing or in the rain for fear the color will drip or stain my clothing. Does anyone have dye-bleeding issues with their vibrant colored leather bags?

2 comments:

SewPetiteGal said...

I want a red bag!!! I love how you wore it with your orange Lady Day coat - they look beautiful together and now I'm thinking about red / orange pairings for an outfit :)

Olyvia said...

SPG, I totally think you would rock the red! In my mind, I thought the red and orange would clash, but very surprised they worked well together in reality!