Saturday, July 21, 2012

Best Lip Balms on the market

It seems like I've suffered dry lips all my life, even as a kid. I remembered my lips were always cracked, peeling, and bleeding, even after using my mom's Chapstick or that yucky-tasting Vaseline petroleum jelly. It wasn't until high school that I found relief, thanks to a wonderful lip balm sold in a fundraiser catalog by one of the cheerleaders. It was an unexpected miracle product! The 1 oz container of  "tropical strawberry" SPF 6 lip balm cost $10-12, but worth every penny! According to the label, it was made by Bath Works for Great American Opportunities. Oh, it was my holy grail! My lips stopped peeling and bleeding for the first time in my life. The product was perfect in every way...tasted good, felt nice on lips, and lasted a long time. One of those 1 oz containers lasted me a year it seems. I purchased in bulk from them (was sold online also) for the next decade or so. Then the devastating day came when Great American Opportunities decided to stop carrying that particular Bath Works product. I tried to order their new line of lip balms, but the ingredients had changed for the worse. Thus, I've been trying to find a replacement product ever since.

My goodness, I've tried so many brands....Bath & Body Works, Chapstick, Lip Smackers, Carmex, Soft Lips, Neutrogena, CVS/Walgreens brands, Aquafor, Kiel's, random ones,......in all sorts of flavors....all failed. My lips started peeling annoyingly again. I even attempted to make my own lip balm by buying ingredients from Makingcosmetics.com, but I could not find a formula that worked and my creations tasted horribly. So the search continues, and I finally found a couple of brands that seems to be working. They are not perfect but close enough for the time being:

Here's my review on each:
Burt's Bees with Vit. E and Peppermint - Made in USA ~$2.99 for 0.15 oz
Stronger minty flavor; ingredients appear most natural compared to the others. The negative is that it does not glide on easily as the others. The balm has a thicker/harder wax texture...like trying to apply candlewax maybe, I don't know how else to describe it. It felt heavy and sticky on the lips, yet the moisturizing effect did not last as long. I felt the need to reapply after 1-2 hours. But it is still better than other lip balms I've tried because it does not leave lips peeling or drier.

Lypsyl with Swedish Beeswax - Made in Canada ~$2.99 for 0.10 oz
This is definitely the best tasting compared to the others in my opinion. It has a mild minty flavor with a sweet undertone. Packaging is different with the sliding-bee lever thing, but for a bigger/bulkier packaging, it has less product than the other balms. Despite the love-it or hate-it packaging, this balm gets high points because it glides on smoothly and feels very nice on the lips. It also lasts longer than the Burt's Bees. However, I kept wanting to reapply this just to savor the yummy minty taste, haha.

Aquafina - Made in China ~3.99 for 0.28 oz
This one applies smoothly and feels just as nice as the Lypsyl, maybe a bit glossier. Somehow, this one seems to penetrate better, leaving lips moisturized longer even after product has rubbed off. I felt like I only had to apply this after I brush my teeth in the morning, after eating, and before bedtime, and my lips were satisfied. The downside is that these don't taste great. Even though the packet contains 4 flavors, they all have a weird "fake" flavor taste with a cooling effect due to the menthol ingredient.

EOS sweet mint - Made in USA ~3.29 for 0.25 oz
Strong minty flavor. 95% certified organic and 100% natural ingredients. Unlike the others, this one lists an expiration date (good for 2 years). The balm actually reminds me alot of the Burt Bee's in taste, consistency, and duration. The only difference is that it glides a bit easier on the lips than Burt Bee's. However, I felt I had to really roll the balm on my lips several rounds to feel completely moisturized. The egg-like packaging is fun and cute, but clumsy and bulky when it comes to practicality. Not great for hiding in pockets or small purses.

Overall, these 4 lip balms have been the best I've tried because they do not make my lips peel profusely or feel drier after use. They all are not perfect, but good enough for their purpose. So if you suffer from dry lips and other brands have no worked, these might do the trick. I believe everyone has different skin type, so one product may work wonders for a person but nothing for another. It's all trial and error. If you're strictly into "natural" ingredients, Burt's Bees or EOS are good choices, however I probably will not repurchase them simply because of their harder-waxy application. Aquafina is a winner for the price and long-lasting effects, but wish it tastes better like the Lypsyl. Aquafina is also harder to find. I think it's only sold online or at some Walgreens in-store. Definitely Aquafina and Lypsyl are my go-to lip balms right now.

What is your favorite lip balm?  Or what lip balm(s) have worked best for you? Please share in comments!

***UDPATE on 10/20/12 - Found the BEST LIP BALM on the market that beats out all the above. See review on NIVEA A KISS OF HONEY & HONEY Moisturizing Lip Balm***

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I feel you, girl! My lips are dry and peely all the time. I, too, have found solace in the EOS lip balm (I have the pinky-red one, forgot which flavor that is), Burts Bees, and, my favorite, basic-as-you-get Chapstick in the blue tube. :)