Friday, March 22, 2013

GAP Broken-in straight khakis review

When I was people-watching in DC, I spotted this girl wearing neon yellow pants with a blue denim jacket that struck a chord in me. I wanted yellow pants! That night, I decided to search for some online. I found many appealing ones, but so expensive though like these 7 For All Mankind ones in Citron and Neon Yellow, or these Rag & Bone denim leggings in Neon Yellow. Since this is considered a trendy item, I'm not willing to pay big bucks for it. Then came along these GAP ones that fits the budget....
(Original price $49.94,  mine was 30% sale at $34.97)

For you online shoppers, my specific body measurements for reference are: lower waist measured under belly-button 29", widest part of hip/seat ~34", and upper thigh circumference (thickest section) 20".

When I went to my local store, this is how the regular size 0 looks on me:
 Gaping at back of waist and some flaring at pockets.
They didn't have the Vibrating Yellow in size 00, so I tried the Becca Blue in size regular 00 below:
The regular 00 may not look tight, but they felt tight...especially when I tried to sit down. The waist band doesn't have a lot of stretch. 

Thus, I made the assumption that the size Petite 0 (sold online) would probably be my best fit, which should fall between regular 00 and regular 0 (and with better length for the short legs). Here's how they turned out:
My assumption was spot-on! They fit comfortably! I love that it's a bit looser throughout the legs, which is much better for hot muggy days. The fabric is lightweight yet sturdy, has some stretch, and feels soft and nice on the skin. The length can be rolled up once or twice for a more ankle or cropped look. The only issue I can think of is the wrinkling at the back of my thighs. Overall, I'm digging these pants for casual warm days!

If you are looking to order these pants online, please note they do run large. I normally wear size 2 or 4 in GAP jeans, so I was a bit surprised to be wearing a size 0. Also, these pants seem to be made for people with some junk in the trunk (or pear-shape bods).

Side note on the "denim jacket": this is a popular item, especially in city vacation spots. It's warm, sturdy, and gives a relaxed attitude. Finding a classic denim jacket that is not too dark, too light, too stiff, or too boxy...can be difficult. The one I'm wearing is a thrifted SO juniors brand at Kohl's. As with most mass-produced jackets, the sleeves are always too long. I had mine chopped off. Come to think of it, maybe the denim is a bit too blue for my bright pants? I probably could use a duller, lighter shade in the denim jacket...

No comments: