Monday, April 22, 2013

Fruit print trend

I could not resist this strawberry print. I've been trying to refrain myself from spending frivolously, especially from trendy items, so I had to contemplate this one out thoroughly....

1. It reminded me of the sold-out J.Crew citrus print shirt, but better, since red is more flattering than orange on most skin tones.
2. I asked myself "would this be appropriate for work and play?" - yes.
3. I then asked myself "is this style something I could see at Anthropologie?" - yes.
4. Also, "would this shirt match other items in my closet?" - yes.
5. I asked my best friend for her opinion, and she said "yes, it's cute!"
6. It has positive reviews with 5 stars.
7. I google'd images of the shirt to make sure it looks good on others, and yes it does, see on Cats in My Closet and Steal her Style.
8. It's only $17.80
9. Sometimes I believe I'm meant to have certain things based on "signs.'" While randomly reading blogs, I came across this image from a 1950's film. The red dots-on-white skirt! It's a sign red & white motif is actually timeless and meant to be, haha. Thus, I finally caved in.

in size Small
Right away, the only problem I had is that the arm holes are too big. Easy fix!
Here's after DIY alterations:
 
What I did...
Slimmed each side by sewing where the dotted yellow lines are.
I don't have a sewing machine, so I had to meticulously hand-stitch (took forever).
It's not the most straight or even hand-sewing, but good enough for me! Even though Forever 21 blouses tend to be made in this cheap, semi-sheer polyester fabric, they are easy to work with when it comes to alterations.  

Overall, definitely one of my favorite purchases lately! 

4 comments:

Sydney's Fashion Diary said...

The shirt looks great post-alterations. Just like you, I don't like to spend a lot on trendy items. This one fits the bill =)

Olyvia said...

Thanks so much Sydney, for your support! :)

granola2glam.blogspot.com said...

I love the fruit print!

Olyvia said...

Thanks Granola2glam!