Saturday, May 3, 2014

What's with Anthropologie?

I grew up wishing to be an "Anthropologie" girl, that someday I would make enough money to afford their beautiful depicted items. The wonderful catalogs made me believe their style was a cut above the rest with the unique details and sumptuous colors. In my small world, Anthropologie meant luxury. In a way, I'm also grateful that Anthropologie has been a huge factor in shaping my own personal style.

Although I still find their catalogs art-worthy inspiring, I've been disappointed almost every time I've shopped in-store or online. Their items never seem worth their price tag....mostly due to crappy quality in person and bad fit. It almost feels like they tricked me with their catalogs. I admit they have a knack for choosing "interesting pretty" things to put in their store and catalog. But after shopping from them these past 6 years, I'm starting to think their inventory sources are probably the same stuff as Forever 21, but with hiked up prices...so they can maintain a really cool catalog each month and a really cool interior design in their physical stores.

For instance, I noticed this scarf today...

I knew I saw this somewhere before. Aha, Ping of All About Fashion Stuff bought this exact scarf from Forever 21 last year! It was probably around $12 or less at the time. 

I'm sad to say that I'm slowly "un-friending" Anthro...

Also disappointed of them after reading this incident from one of my favorite blogger, Life Unrefined.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I was just like you wanting to he an anthro girl, but I have been falling out of love with them for awhile. Their style has changed and has moved away from the old anthro I loved and shopped at when I occasionally had the money. The letter of rejection of shopping privileges that your blogger friend got is RIDICULOUS. The closest anthro to me is 3.5 hrs away. I can't just pop into a store and try something on. How else would they expect people like me with no store close by to try things on. Sure they give a size chart but it is not accurate. Their sizing is all over the map. I am pretty much done with them.

Olyvia said...

Rachel, something has indeed changed at Anthro. When I first discovered them, I thought their business was mostly mailorder (since there wasn't a store nearby where I lived at the time either). I also believed the high price tags meant their items were of exquisite quality and workmanship. But lately, their things totally remind me of fast fashion retailers like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. It's no wonder why customers would be returning items more often at this rate! I told myself I can splurge and buy one or two items from them a year....but lately, I can't seem to find anything worth splurging at Anthro :(

phiphis blog said...

i am shocked at how your friend was treated. online shopping is the only way i can shop anthropologie and now reading this, i am inclined not to.

Olyvia said...

Phiphi, yeah...it's so disappointing of Anthro! I wish they would work on their quality and sizing rather than banning people from returning items. That is just bad business!

eliz said...

OMG I cannot believe she got banned!!! That is so crazy! Especially when most stores do not carry petite sizes. I order a lot of clothes online (petite) and I usually return half because apparently sizing is always off. Who do they think they are!? What a way to lose business...very disappointed and I hope other chains do not follow their footsteps...especially when you have to pay for shipping and returns.