Monday, July 28, 2014

ASOS long-sleeve lace collar dress review

Every winter, I grumble about not having any warm enough "fancy attire" to wear to holiday events, so I'm thinking ahead this year! Thus, I'm on the lookout for some skin-covering long-sleeve dresses...

First trial is this ASOS Skater Dress in Lace with Collar (currently on sale at $30.49)

Size US 4 - black/cream collar
Not good: shoulders too wide for me, sleeves too long and baggy, the white-lace collar looks prone to yellowing over time, and overall style too gothic for me.

Size US 2 - purple
Not good but better: I definitely prefer this deep burgundy purple color than the black. The size US 2 is about 1 cm shorter in length and 1 cm smaller in all areas. My only qualm is that it is still loose in the shoulders/bust area, so the fabric dimples in at my slanted shoulders, which I find not flattering.

Size US 0 - purple
Still not good: I had high hopes that size 0 would be the perfect fit and the fit is indeed perfect in the shoulders this time, but the waist placement in the front is a bit high (thus my side-view looks like I'm standing in a weird posture to protrude my tummy).

Conclusion: I really do love the dress design with the cute collar, fit-and-flare style to accentuate the small waist, and the long lacy sleeves. I could probably keep the size US 2 and have the shoulders altered to fit, but eh...I'm not feeling madly in love, so returning these. There's probably something better out there! I still have time before winter, haha! 

Do share your favorite long-sleeve party dresses! 

4 comments:

Kellyinthecity said...

I think they look lovely! But always a good idea to return if you're not completely in love. :) Hope you find your dream dress soon!

xx
Kelly
kellyinthecity.com

Olyvia said...

Thanks Kelly!

Julia (Ran) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Wow this is a lovely dress! I love the flares! You look gorgeous in it. :)

Julia | Closet de Jules