Friday, August 7, 2015

Polo shirt

Ah, the polo shirt, great for business casual, keeping oneself looking conservative yet comfortable and somewhat sporty. But it's tricky to make the polo shirt look "fashionable." All my life, I wear my polo shirts with khaki pants or cargo shorts, making me look like I work in a technology store, or trying to be an old retired lady who plays golf on the weekends (luckily, I do not wear a visor).

Well, I finally learned the trick to making the classic polo look more posh, thanks to the classic fashion queen...Audrey Hepburn!
I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time the other day, and was inspired by her polo with pencil skirt outfit at the stripper bar scene, nonetheless. 

Here's some personal tips I will try to remember when buying or wearing polos:
1. Stay away from candy colors. Black is always the best choice. 
2. The more buttons, the better.
3. Fit should not be too tight (to avoid the bunches and lumps from stretchy tee material)
4. Pair with a statement bottom (ie. sequins, ruffles, hip-hugging skirts, etc...) 

Here's me trying my own advice:
1. Featuring U.S. Polo Assn. classic fit polo shirt in black: I love the quality of this smooth 100% cotton, which is cool to the touch.
2. I appreciate the white (contrasting) buttons and longer placket for more femininity. Also turning up the collar makes it more interesting.
3. I'm wearing size S, which is a bit loose for skinny ol' me, but the fabric drapes well.
4. My old Kmart Slimfabulous skirt is one of the most statement and hip hugging skirts I own.

Do share how you style your polos in the comments! 

No comments: