Tuesday, November 28, 2017

New Chapter

It feels like my love for sparkly things started from the moment my mind came into being. Some of my earliest childhood memories were of my aunts showing me their jewelry boxes since I was a toddler, piquing my fascination and desire to wear such glittery ornaments. I was that little girl who wanted to have my ears pierced to wear beautiful earrings like the adults, then later regretted the stinging pain and ear infections that followed. 

Little did I know that jewelry has become a symbol of change and desire in many major events of my life thus far. For example, when I had my first heartbreak, it was the sight of the Hope Diamond, a memorable trip with my dad, that I overcame some serious depression, and gaining "hope" for what lies ahead. 

Instead of wallowing in my personal disappointment, I focused on making my family happy, especially my parents. I grew up, realized my values, learned to sacrifice, and learned to let-go the things I cannot control. 

Amazingly, when I am not thinking about myself, that's when God seems to shower me with all my dreams come true. I remember being mesmerized by this canary yellow diamond photograph from the Smithsonian, and even made it my "Myspace" profile picture for a time back in the days. Now I cannot believe I own a piece of it. It happened so sudden and fast. My fiance came into my life so sudden and fast as well. This engagement ring is beautiful and full of meaning for me, but most of all, because I feel overwhelmed that God loves me. 

And so my dear friends, this coming new year, I will be embarking on the journey of marriage. Marriage feels like a passage to adulthood with more responsibilities and challenges ahead. I am a bit scared, but ready to embrace the change and to grow wherever God lets me. 

But before I look ahead, I want to share some things I've learned during my youthful carefree days. 

1. Love your parents or guardians, the people who gave you life, or cares for your well-being. If you cannot accomplish their every little wish, at least respect them, honor them, and make them happy the best you can, even when it feels inconvenient or tedious. It is worth it in the end. 

2. Communication is key. Learn to listen to others and to express yourself. Being able to connect and understand another is valuable and a blessing. So, if you must learn Vietnamese to talk to your grandma, please learn it! 

3. Algebra/Calculus are important. Learning to solve problems, considering different variables to reach a desired end result is real life. Do not give up on math, because it means you give up on solving life problems. It is amazing when you can solve a life problem with your thinking skills. 

4. Best way to cope with a loss of a person you love is to try to become what made you love them. For example, if you loved that person because they were kind and generous, then you should now strive to become kind and generous.   

5. A genuine smile is all that matters. Fashion and beauty ideals changes, but a real happy smile on your face will never fail to make you likable and desirable. Of course, a "happy" smile comes from within, when you can laugh at yourself and seeing the humor in the world despite the odds. 

No comments: