Saturday, November 1, 2014

Anthropologie Rokin Dress review size 0 petite

Anthropologie has been having a 25% off sale items with code: extraextra. I believe this sale ends this weekend. I've been waiting patiently for almost a year trying to use up a big gift card I had. The only item I had bookmarked recently was the Rokin Dress as seen in their beautiful August 2014 catalog (pg. 22):
Original price $168 (now on sale at ~$67.46)

I've been a fan of Anthropologie for years, but this is my first time buying something in their new "Petite" sizing. I debated between regular size 0, petite 00, or petite 0. After reading the reviews that the dress runs small in certain parts (chest and bottom hem), and that the top does look awkwardly short on the model and other bloggers (Anthro TanPoPo, Gnome Lover, The Art of Living Beautifully, Delaware Online), I decided to go with size petite 0. Here's how it turned out:
The Good: the interesting back-view is my favorite view. The little peep-hole is less provocative than as seen on the the stock model. I don't need a special bra (regular strapless bra will do) for undergarments. The fabric is thick and sturdy, almost like upholstery fabric (which justifies the cost of the dress). It's fully lined in a silky fabric that is cool and comfortable on the skin. The deep orange and navy-purple color scheme is perfect for Fall/Winter feasting events.  
The Bad: so the proportions of this dress is a little weird. The waist would probably look better if it was an inch lower. It looks like this dress could belong in the maternity section, perfect for someone who is maybe 2-4 months preggers. The short bodice also makes the hip pockets too high for picture-posing. And finally...because my thin torso is super flat in general, I do have some looseness in the chest area. Perhaps size petite 00 would fit better on me, but I don't want to risk it having an even shorter bodice. I also detest returning things back to Anthro (no free shipping and I'm tired of holding on to their store-credit/gift cards), so I'm keeping this dress! I think I can make it work with a belt and gaining some weight over the holidays, haha!
The little details like these embroidered loops of the lining makes this dress special! 

No comments: