Saturday, May 9, 2020

Searching for Xylophone and Kalimba Review

I've been searching for a pretty xylophone or glockenspiel to decorate a corner of my family-turned-music room. Many people suggested that I get a piano, but I have too many cringing memories of my childhood being forced to practice the piano every weekend and never improving my skills (this is what happens when music does not come easy, having non-inspirational piano teachers, and the only sheet music available were classic pieces that no one listens to in this day and age.) So I figured a more fun alternative, is the xylophone or glockenspiel to grace a spot in my home instead.

So the search actually began a year ago before the COVID-19 pandemic, and I was bummed that none of my local music stores carries any professional xylophones. While looking through YouTube product reviews for online purchases, I came across this mesmerizing girl who plays the marimba (which is like a giant xylophone), who is now my new girl-crush: Yuni Marima
So cool, right? Very appealing, but I still cannot find a xylophone that fits my budget, space, and style. A marimba is definitely too big for my music room. 

As YouTube marketing magic has the ability to lead me astray, I then came across an instrument that is totally new to me, the "kalimba" or thumb piano, performed by another YouTube girl-crush sensation: April Yang 

It has a twinkling sound much like the glockenspiel but so much better! I love that it is compact and cute, and tons of YouTube videos for tutorials and product reviews. The best part is, the kalimba is marketed as a toy so they are quite affordable. Most ranges from $30-$60 on Amazon, so I did not hesitate to order a couple to try it out, I decided on getting one solid board style and one hollow box style.

1. Zaidenberg Kalimba ($44.99): has a muted twinkling, music-box sound quality, arrived in-tune. 

Best Part: I chose this for the detachable magnetic wooden stand, perfect for displaying on a desk (in my music room, yeah!)  The mahogany wood piece feels substantial and of high quality.

The Bad: I think this kalimba might have been someone else's returned item, since it came with one bent key (or "tine") and the items inside the packaging (ie. thumb covers, stickers, etc.) was strewn all over.

2. HONHAND Kalimba ($33.99): the hollow box style does provide a deeper, resonating sound, arrived in-tune. 

Best Part: I chose this for the low price point and simple design without logos plastered on it. However, it does have the stamp "Designed in California" behind the hole opening, which is probably a marketing technique to lure "Made in USA" fans, when in actuality it is made in China. I actually felt this boxy style is more comfortable to play than the small curvy style of the Zaidenberg. Also love the louder tone. 

The Bad: it smells of gasoline-like chemicals that I often find in cheap China-made goods sold on Amazon. I can't imagine how horrible the fumes must be in the factories that make these products...bless the people who have to work in those conditions :(
Verdict: I kept both since they were both affordable for my budget and provide good-enough aesthetics for my music room as well as delightful sound quality for a beginner. If I decide to purchase again, I would definitely go for the hollow box style, and hopefully find a company that has better quality control. I would definitely be willing to pay more for that! Please, no more toxic fumes for the makers and customers. 

Any good xylophone or kalimba recommendations out there?

No comments: