Saturday, June 20, 2015

Fig toast for breakfast

It seems like such a long time ago since I had a food post on here. Maybe because I haven't been excited about any personal food creations until today! My parent's magical garden has been overflowing with these brown turkey figs, so I decided to make some breakfast out of it.
With the trend of the avocado toast on social media lately, I was inspired to create a "fig" version. After all, avocados are so darn expensive especially with the drought in California. Did you know, figs grow nicely in drought environment? 

Anyhow, here's the ingredients for my breakfast fig toast: 1 fig fruit (thinly sliced), 1 toasted piece of bread, 1 teaspoon of honey, and 1 banana. 
I smooshed half of the banana with one teaspoon of honey to made a creamy spread and sticky base to place my fig slices on...
Pile the figs on top to make them pretty, and wala! It's like eating healthy dessert for breakfast! 
Side note: the mint leaves are also from my parent's garden :)
May also drizzle some more honey, caramel sauce, or sprinkle powdered sugar or cinnamon on top for the sweet tooth. This will help the bowels moving as well as avocados (but less green if you know what I mean) haha! Highly recommend growing a fig tree in the garden! 

3 comments:

Mai said...

I know this is silly but I've never tried figs. Where can you get them! I wanna try! ^_^

Olyvia said...

Maiong, not silly at all! I've never seen these until my parents starting growing them in their garden. They told me they bought the tree at Home Depot gardening center. I dont think they sell fresh figs in regular grocery stores though :( The closest would be dried figs at specialty farmers market type stores (Sprouts, Whole Foods, Trader's Joe maybe) or the processed kinds found in Fig Newtons. I dont know how these figs will fare through mail, but tempted to mail you some, haha :)

Mike said...

Wow, this looks super yummy Olyvia! How do you come up with your ideas for your recipes?

Mike