Sunday, October 8, 2017

Unconventional Wedding Dress Challenge Part 1

I'm one of those crazy people who like to research and plan in advance to avoid last-minute stress. My man has been talking of marriage, so I thought maybe I should jump a head-start on figuring out the most flattering dress for a possible future wedding. Ever since I was little, I have been very inspired by the whole fashion tradition of wedding dresses and often conjure up unique gowns for myself, but now it's time to get practical and realistic!

I have not been to an event where fancy gowns are required (I didn't go to prom). I was a bridesmaid once in college for one of my aunts, but I was provided hand-made dresses and looked quite silly to be honest. So this would be my first time trying to figure out what to wear...for that grand moment walking down the long aisle, where everyone's attention will specifically be on "me" and photos will be taken to be reviewed for a lifetime. Talk about the pressure!

Of course, being the picky weirdo that I am, I have devised several criteria for finding the perfect dress:

1. Budget: I refuse to splurge on a dress because I rather splurge on the accommodation for my friends/relatives, the invitation/thank-you cards, the food, and the decor. So my dress budget is less than $200, which means I'll have to scour clearance racks in advance and settle for a non-typical wedding dress (ie. the dress may not be white).

2. Comfort: I prefer a Fall October/November wedding in the East Valley inside my Catholic Church, so the dress has to suit the mood and weather. Not to mention, there's a lot of kneeling involved during the ceremony, so need a dress that I can move in easily.

3. Style: my challenges are my small stature where my body can pass as a young teen, yet I am 35+ years old, not exactly the blushing bride material. I would like a modest style because of the serious church atmosphere, but not appear like I am having my first communion either. It would be a plus if the dress still looks flattering in person and in photos.

The search begins...

Tip #1. Buy used/second-hand: the convenient thing about following fashion bloggers around my size is that they often resale their clothes through their blog, Instagram, and other such outlets. Purchasing from these fashionistas gives one hope of better fit and good style! I first learned about Lilliana Vazquez through Extra Petite (before she was a regular on the "Today" show), and instantly became a fan of her Instagram. One of her most memorable outfit was this light grey Mignon dress she wore at her first Met Gala in 2013. I was completely smitten that a petite person can look glamorous in a floor-length dress. I made a mental note to try on similar "Grecian" style gowns if there ever was a need for a fancy-attire event. As luck would have it, Lilliana listed her Mignon dress on Poshmark at discount and I immediately snatched it up. Sure enough, her pre-altered dress fits great in the length, and the ruching and draping is quite flattering.

Wearing size 0, $90 @thelvguide from Poshmark
The problem: I forget that the original owner partied in this dress all day and night interviewing celebrities, thus there are some scuffing and loose beads. Also, my top half (upper chest) is thinner than Liliana, so I don't fill out the top very well and look too skinny, especially side-view.

Lesson learned: No-go on the open upper chest/sternum area. It doesn't feel great to wear scuffed-up used dress (even if a celebrity wore it). 

Part 1,  2,  3,  4,  5,  6Final Thoughts

No comments: